Monastery

The Monastery

The old monastery was situated on the northern side of today’s cloister. It was not pulled down but added to until it attained its final form. It is believed that building started in 1417, with north wing of the monastery and two rows of rooms. Only after the completion of the sacristy and the chapter house two floors were added to the east wing. The construction started in 1519. The last big construction work dates back to 1591, when a dining room with a large vestibule and a fireplace were built in the north-west wing. During the war of the Holy League against the Turks, the monastery underwent many changes. Venice was part of the Holy League and tried by any means to involve the Republic of Dubrovnik in the war. Dubrovnik wished to stay neutral, but that created the danger that Venice might attack Dubrovnik, despite opposition from the Pope and other allies. In order to prevent this, Dubrovnik, through Pope Paul III, asked to strengthen the ‘weak points’ of the city. The northern city wall was raised around the monastery. The northern rooms were now deprived of light and fresh air, so it was decided that they should be pulled down. The monastery had around 55 rooms then, which proves its size and the number of its friars. In spite of being surrounded by high walls, the monastery had its ‘window on the world’. That was its eastern upper floor with its large Renaissance windows, spacious sunny terrace and beautiful view of the slopes of Bosanka and ┼Żarkovica, the port, the island of Lokrum and the open sea.

Back to top