Well &Gallery

The Well

The monastery must have had a well for drinking water from the beginning, but we do not know what it looked like. Today’s well, in the middle of the cloister, has a massive stone crown with ionic pillars (1523), a Renaissance beam with an inscription from 1539: ANTIQVA REIECTA HANC NOVAM INDVIT FORMAM, and a lifting tackle with a hanging bucket. Once filled, the well could provide water for three years for not only the monastery but also for part of the city. After the monastery was connected to the city’s water supply in 1438, the water from the well was used mainly in the case of siege. The well was last used during the Serbian-Montenegrin attack (1991 – 1992) and provided water not only for the monastery but also for the besieged city.

Back to top