Bell Tower

Bell Tower

With its 40 m, it dominates not only the church complex but the whole city. Cecho of Monopolia in Apulia started building the bell-tower in 1390, but its construction lasted until the middle of the next century. Since it took a long time to erect the bell-tower, it reflects the Romanesque, Gothic and Renaissance styles. The ground floor pillars are decorated with flat leaves and serrated wreaths on the capitals which support the narrow Gothic arches. The wreaths divide the bell-tower into floors in which there are late-Gothic biforia with oval arches framed with rows of ‘diamonds’. Above the last wreath of the blind pointed arcades, there is an eight-sided loggia which is covered by battlements decorated with the curved lines and flower reliefs of the Baroque.

Back to top